Apparently this was one of my dad’s recipes, but the recipe he used has since gone missing and I honestly only remember my mom making it. So I hopped online a few days ago and perused until I found one on epicurious.com that looked close and based mine off of it…
After the week I’ve been having I was just craving something that reminded me of my dad, so between pasta and this cake I really just felt like I was home for a minute…
The cake is simple when it comes down to it… moist, chocolately, and has some hidden veggies!
2 cups of zucchini nestled in this baby… and you can’t taste it one bit… yet its in there!
would you know I got so excited that I almost forgot to mix in the freaking zucchini… yeah I’ve been having one of those weeks, not to mention the whole medicine fiasco has made me feel like i’m in a huge fog cloud 24/7
my little trick to this one was to put the big chocolate chips in the batter and sprinkle the little ones on the top… it worked PERFECTLY!
After about an hour this baby came out of the oven and it took me back to summer days in the kitchen at the old farm house I grew up in…
And somehow I allowed it a half hour to cool off before digging in and cutting out a nice big piece to devour…
Ahhhh look at those chocolate chunks inside!
And then 2 minutes later… literally…
So this summer when you have a zucchini from you garden that you have no idea what to do with, of if you bought one out of season last week that you need to do something with ASAP, now you know what to do!!!!
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI CAKE
adapted from epicurious.com
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup for inside cake 1/2 cup for topping)
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl
- Cream sugar, butter and oil in large bowl until well mixed
- Add eggs 1 at a time until completely incorporated
- Add vanilla extract
- Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk
- Mix in grated zucchini and chocolate chips
- Pour batter into greased 13 x 9 baking pan
- Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top
- Bake cake for approximately 50-60 minutes until toothpick or knife comes out clean
- Cool cake completely
- DIG IN
Q of the Day: What is your favorite way to sneak veggies in when you are just not in the mood?